Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Life Saving Procedure




My 73 year old mother had colon cancer. A portion of her colon was removed last year. I’m thankful my mother is doing well and living her full life.

My mom encouraged me to have the colonoscopy procedure. I am 50, black, and need to minimize my health risks.

OK. I describe the experience palatably. Tuesday, January 29, 2008 was the day to clean my colon by eating no food, taking four tablets at 9 AM of an initial cleansing agent, and drinking a gallon of clear liquid for two hours. I now love beef bouillon.

At 2 PM, I engage the second round of cleansing agent. I drink a gallon of salty tasting liquid, 8 ounce portions every 15 minutes until it’s gone. By this time, I am a frequent flyer to a certain household location.

Today, Wednesday, January 30, 2008, was the day. I experienced some anxiety about this. I arrived on time, got undressed, gowned, robed, and sat with a group of men lined up like airliners on a tarmac waiting for their turn to take off.

The next phase is prep. I get stuck for an IV. The first one missed and had to call a back up. Then they wheel me to the door by the room the procedure will take place.

All of you who are getting to know me realize I have a deep love, respect and appreciation for women. So, why does this little fine woman step up to my bed and say, “Mr. Crawford, my name is Dr. Matthews. I will be doing your procedure today.”

Hoover Dam!

I was rolled in and positioned and given the joy juice shot. I told the team working with her I had a silly question I wanted to raise when the procedure is complete. They wanted me to ask then. I needed to wait.

Then the little that little pretty woman put twelve feet of hose with a camera on the end into my body. I watched the camera feed. I have a clean colon with no polyps.

When it was over, I asked, “Do gay men tolerate this procedure better than straight men?” I wasn’t joking. I really wanted to know.

Bottom Line, encourage the people in your life 50 and older to have this life saving procedure. I got it done. I’m thankful for the positive report and so is my family.

Keep Up the Love!

Oscar Crawford

No comments: